HIGGINBOTHAM, John Edwin, Rev, M.A. (1866-1948)
Assembly memorial minute, 1949
John Edwin Higginbotham was a native of Derbyshire, England, where he was born on the 24th October, 1866. At the age of 21 he came to Australia and, in 1894, gained entrance to the Theological Hall at Ormond College. He completed exit in 1896 and was licensed early in the next following year. He accepted a call to Mentone and was there ordained and inducted on the 17th January, 1897.
His next settlement was the only occasion of an operation of the Rules relating to Exchange of Parishes. He exchanged with the Rev. H. M. Burns who was then at The Leigh. Mr. Higginbotham was duly inducted into The Leigh in 1910, where he fulfilled a long and useful ministry. On the 30th June, 1918, he was translated to North Williamstown, which after eight years he demitted. Thereafter for a little more than two years he remained unattached. Burwood had then for some 34 years been an outpost maintaining Christian witness beyond the suburban area, at first attached to Hawthorn and then to Camberwell.
Mr. Higginbotham was in 1929 appointed to the joint parishes of Burwood and the Home Mission Station at Hartwell. The year following saw rapid development; with the result that these two parishes were separated. Burwood became a Church Extension Charge and called Mr. Higginbotham. His induction took place on the 29th September, 1930. A manse was built, and in 1937 the foundation stone of the present Church laid by the Moderator. Later in that year, in the presence of a huge gathering, the Moderator-General, the Rt. Rev. Dr. J. Mackenzie, opened the new Church. Congregation and Communion Roll continued to grow, showing at the time of Mr. Higginbotham’s resignation—the 31st July, 1941—an increase in membership from 40 to 220.
He came to a struggling Home Mission Station and left it a flourishing charge, with all the necessary buildings. Upon retirement he joined the congregation of St. Stephen’s, Surrey Hills, where he speedily became endeared to old and young alike. A regular and devoted worshipper, he was an inspiration to all. Words of encouragement by him were treasured within many hearts.
He was a faithful attendant at the courts of the Church, but was not a conspicuous debater. He became minister emeritus in 1942. For some time he lectured to students of Rolland House. He performed useful work on the Committees of Kilmany Park and the Sisterhood. His great work, however, was within his parishes, where love was divided between the pulpit and homes of his people. He loved and exalted preaching, and, even to the end, hoped to be permitted to bear one more pulpit witness to the goodness and mercy of God. Essentially kind, he was, in the good meaning of the word, a homely man. To his heart there was always an open door. Being free from angles and affectations he set those in his presence immediately at ease. His two real values were his faith and his friends. His faith, reached without strife, was held without questioning. His friendships were intimate and life-long. The companionship of his home was very dear, and scarcely less so was that of his friends. He was one of the most appreciative, and least critical, of men. His endearing qualities drew people to him; to them he was a trusted friend and a pastor beloved.
He passed away on the 19th August, 1948, at the age of 82. To his son and daughter, the Assembly tenders sincere sympathy.
Gender
- Male